Saturday, 3 September 2016

Makeover: Bathroom Dresser




We picked up this dresser from a cousin of Shane's who was throwing it out, with the hope that we'd be able to upcycle it in some way. Otherwise, it was on its way to the dump, and I just couldn't bear to part with it without seeing if we could inject some form of life back into it.

For me, I think it was the colour that was throwing everyone off the piece. It was in great condition, but just looked quite outdated, and just lacked any charm.

I think we've managed to fix that!









We tottered off to our local stockists of Farrow and Ball, and I spent up to about two hours trying to pick a colour that would work.


The original colours I wanted weren't in stock at the time, and although the shop assistant said he could try and mix me up a colour similar to it, he could't guarantee they'd turn out the way I wanted. I eventually chose the colour "Card Room Green", which was as far away in the green tones as possible from my original idea.


I then sanded the piece, washed it down, and appled the primer before applying an undercoat from the Farrow and Ball range in mid tones, and then applying two coats of the top coat.

Undercoat:

Coat 1:


Coat 2:



While we were prepping, priming and painting, I also removed the knobs that were on the doors of the dresser and washed them in a litre of coco-cola. I remember my mum, as a science teacher, showing us that trick with pennies when we were growing up - glad to see something stuck! They turned out so sparkly, it was like they were new again.


I'm really thrilled with how this piece turned out, the rest of the bathroom is in such neutral colours it was nice to do something that would give a pop of colour in there. This was also my first solo upcycle project, normally Shane helps me out a little, but this was completed all my own - yay!

Fiona
x

No comments:

Post a Comment