Thursday, 2 February 2017

Makeover: Kitchen Cabinets Upcycle







Following on from my post last week, where I showed how we updated the splashback in our kitchen by painting our tiles (which you can find here) once we had upcycled the tiles, we had to continue with the rest of the kitchen as it now looked even more jaded than before next to the upgraded tiles.



I've seen plenty of people online who have completed a kitchen upcycle like this themselves, and although we were advised by family members to leave it to professional painters, we said we'd give it a try ourselves (mainly as if it didn't work out, we could always get the professionals in then)!
















Similar to the last kitchen post, I'll go through a variety of before, during and after pictures. The only people who have really seen our kitchen are people who have actually been inside our house, and although it pained me to take these pictures, I knew that it's be good to have them to look back on to see the improvements we've made to the room.


This is the original kitchen, with this photo taken from the pictures put up by the auctioneer at the time of sale.
We tried to clean it up as best we could, painted it what we thought (!) was a better colour and knocked out the side countertop.

Here's what we were working with, as of two weeks ago. Shane built in the side unit to house our American fridge freezer and sound system, and the horrible green paint that I had fallen in love with originally was still on our walls.

Before:









During:

I prepped and primed the cabinet doors in the same way as I did the kitchen tiles, first cleaning them with a sugar soup solution, and then adding a primer. When the primer had dried in, I added two coats of the colour to each door. The colour I decided to paint the doors in was "Mouse's Back" from the Farrow and Ball range.                                                




You can really see the difference between the first and second coats!











Picking out fabric for my kitchen press curtain




After:

The kitchen just seems so much more lighter now. When we originally purchased the house, the amount of different types of wood in the one room used to make my eyes water. We had one type of wood on the floor, one on the cabinets and one on the ceiling. Now, we're down to our last type - the one on the ceiling, which unfortunately we won't be be able to tackle until plans to knock down the wall where the oven / blocked up chimney stands.
As I've said before, hopefully that work will be started in the next year, but until then, this will definitely tide me over!














Here is the hope for what our kitchen will eventually look like. Unfortunately, the wall which we'll have to knock down to create a more smooth transition from the kitchen to our utility room / back bathroom area is a supporting wall, with a blocked up chimney inside which means that if it's knocked down, we'll have to make sure adequate supports are in place and the roof will have to be looked at and closed up. It will be a good bit of work, but I know that if we work hard on it for the next year or so, the plan will be coming off paper, and into real life.



























In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the current kitchen for what it is - a major impovement on what we first walked into. The best thing that has happened as a result of this upcycle is that I'm also loving baking - I've baked more in the past two weeks than I have in the past year. Hopefully it's opened up my baking creative streaks, and you'll get to see more recipes going up here as a result!

Fiona
x

No comments:

Post a Comment