Wednesday, 17 January 2018

Makeover: Crib Upcycle

It's four weeks to go to due date and it's fair to say the pressure is getting on us a bit to try and get everything in the house done as much as we can. Obviously, the kitchen renovation is not going to happen this month, but we've decided to use the time to go back over the rooms we've already done and just fix any niggly, outstanding bits that need to be remedied. We've had to look into which of the spaces we're going to use as a nursery / the baby's bedroom and modify it as we had just being using them as guest rooms up until now. 

Shane's sister had a crib that she had used with her children, and we decided to make a start on the room by upcycling it.The crib itself was originally from mothercare, (probably about 15 years ago now) but I knew with a lick of paint we'd be able to spruch it right up. 

We'd already upcycled the furniture in that room and decided to keep with the colour used on the existing pieces. Farrow and Ball to the rescue once more. I just find that the colour "Elephant's Breath" is such a neutral colour to work with and regardless if a girl or boy pops out the colour will work with all kind of accessories.

We had to clean the cot first as it's been in storage since Shane's niece was last in it, so a good hoover to get all the dust off it, followed by a wipe down of it, sanding to get any lumps and bumps off, and yet another hoover and wash and we were ready to go.

We didn't use an undercoat on this piece like we would normally do (mainly because we started prepping it before realising I'd used all the undercoat the last time we were painting). Instead, Shane applied two light layers to the crib before giving a third final layer to make sure it was all even.

While Shane did do the graft work on the crib, it fell to me to decorate it. Obviously as the moment, doctors are saying it's a little girl so I wanted to try and add some small feminine touches that could still be easily removed if a boy comes out (you never know)!

I picked up a new mattress from mothercare, added a new bed sheet from (the same company that we got our snuzpod from, which baby will be sleeping in for the first few months). 

We popped in a few teddies (including Ewan the Sheep who I've heard great things about) before the important details - a hanging canopy from Ikea and a flower garland from The Range which I've wrapped around the front of the crib. I'm still on the lookout for a mobile to hang down from the canopy but so far none have caught my eye.

And that's it - our upcycled crib all finished and ready for our little Princess to go into.

No comments:

Post a Comment